Thursday 28 April 2011

I'm not stupid!

I do an admin role for my job. It's rather cushy for the amount of money I am paid, but it has its moments where it's go go go go go go go and the pressure almost gets too much. Fortunately those times don't happen too often, and fortunately I love the challenges they bring.

What is getting my goat at the moment is that there is a member of the "family" (see an earlier post) who has an ego the size of China, and assumes just because my team and I work in admin that we are unskilled and completely stupid. He has been trying to get a major part of my job taken away from me and it be given to one of his sycophants as he is a "techie" and knows everything.

A large chunk of my role involves the coordination, design and publication of our Intranet for my whole division. We have a very restricted by style and difficult to use system that throws up bizarre faults randomly that are difficult to fix. There is no official documentation on how to fix them, it's something you have to figure out yourself or ask someone else how to fix.

The "family" man is trying to take this job from me, and to get his Project Manager "techie" to do it. All. By means of bullying me into giving in, and by getting another "family" member to pull some illegal strings by means of access to the whole division's directory instead of just the sub-directory he's been authorised to have.

I raised the issues with my boss, who seems to live in some kind of vague bubble. She said to me "he wants him to do it, because he found out he's a bit of a techie", and promised to speak to the "family" member, but it may be diffucult due to political reasons and I might end up losing.

What gets me, is that I have explained to my boss MANY times that I have a rather strong IT background. I have trained in and worked for many years writing code and maintaining a rather massive computer database for my old workplace that to this day is still used by some pretty important people to get some pretty important statistics. I have studied computer programming and worked as a programmer for 4 years. I have certificates that make me qualified as a computer network designer & administrator (not that I've actually done this as a job though, it was a course requirement). I am also a qualified high-level web designer as well. In essence, people, I am a fully qualified NERD! I gave up my IT life due to strange events at that time in my life, and the fact the really cushy job came up that paid twice the rate I was getting as a programmer. (What would YOU do??!)

This "techie" has a personal interest in playing around with computers. That is all. He has no formal qualifications, and no technical experience in an IT field.

Yet for some reason my qualifications don't count for anything, and I'm not sure my vague boss actually believes I have them. I am seen as a stupid admin officer, only there to buy stationery and do a few other things I guess.

I did something very strange today, and took a photocopy of my qualification certificates and pinned them to my desk partition wall, hoping that maybe someone might notice them. I know it's really REALLY wanky, but I am at my wits end.

No comments:

Post a Comment